Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Attic insulation

I could not decide on whether to use fiberglass or recycled paper. I ultimatley decided on recycled paper because it was half the cost of the bats; provides more seamless coverage; has higher noise reduction, because it is more dense; and is better for the environment. (It is grade 1-A fire retardent.) My only concern is if it gets wet. But someone pointed out that if it gets wet, you have more serious problems. I was also concerned about compression, but I have read that it doesn't compress too much more than fiberglass. Once I had already bought the paper, I noticed that Home Depot sells blow in fiberglass at the same cost as the paper.

My dad helped me blow it in yesterday. I took 7 hours! for 1500 square feet. Much longer than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment